Saturday, July 29, 2017

IZETTA'S SUNDAY PICNIC POTATO SALAD

I still have fond memories of my mom's Sunday picnic potato salad. She always put it in large Mason jars and packed it in ice in the cooler. We would drive to the country and have a picnic with some of our country relatives. Mom would tie on her pretty apron, put a couple of tablecloths on the picnic tables and set up her food. Her potato salad always contained chopped eggs. I buy eggs from local farms where they have a stand set up outside their entrances. You put the money in a tin box and take the eggs; all based on the honor system. Their hens are allowed to roam free and eat a variety of left-over veggies from kitchen scraps. When I was a little girl, my Aunt Stella would give me a basket and let me go into the hen house and collect a few eggs. She showed me how to gently cup the hen's head with one hand and slip out an egg from under her with my other hand. They never saw me take the eggs. Poor little hens; they just sat there as if they still had an egg under them. 


Left to right - my dad, Uncle Julian & Aunt Dorothy, Grand Uncle Edward & my mom, Izetta
My Aunt Hattie probably took the photo. I was off playing somewhere.




3 lbs Yukon Gold or other yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes 
3 T dill pickle juice
1 to 2 dill pickles, finely diced, or ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
3 stalks celery, finely diced
¼ medium red onion, finely diced
4 hard cooked eggs, peeled and finely diced (optional)
1 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's or Dukes)
1 T yellow mustard 
2 T finely chopped Italian parsley
½ t dried dill (optional)
½ t sea salt
¼ t fine ground black pepper
Paprika, for sprinkling

Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water by 1 inch and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low boil and boil for 10 minutes, or until fork tender.
Pour potatoes into a colander, let drain and cool for 30 minutes.
Transfer potatoes to a large bowl and add the pickle juice and gently toss.
Mix of the rest of the ingredients in a smaller bowl and add to the potatoes.  
Gently toss to combine, sprinkle with a little paprika. 
Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours for flavors to blend.

10 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment