Saturday, June 10, 2017

OLD-FASHIONED BUTTER BRICKLE ICE CREAM

When I was a child growing up in Washington, DC, I loved to go to High's Ice Cream Store and buy a cone of Butter Brickle Ice Cream for 5 cents. It was my absolute favorite flavor. My second favorite was Chocolate Ripple.
I think this recipe is even better than what I remember. The toffee bits are easy to make but if you don't want to make it, look for a bag of either Heath's Toffee Bits or Bits O Brickle in your super market. 



Homemade Toffee
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
½ cup light brown sugar

Butter Brickle Ice Cream
2 T unsalted butter
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
2 cups half-and-half
1 t pure vanilla extract
2 cups heavy whipping cream
Pinch of sea salt

To Make the Homemade Toffee:
In a small saucepan, add the brown sugar and butter.
Bring to a boil, lower heat slightly and let gently boil until a candy thermometer reaches 300 degrees F.
Pour mixture onto a baking sheet and allow to cool completely.
Once it is cooled, break up the toffee into pieces and place in a resealable plastic bag.
Using a rolling pin, break up the toffee into small pieces.

To Make the Ice Cream:
In a large saucepan over low heat, warm the butter, brown sugar, and half-and-half until the butter and sugar have melted.
Turn off heat and add the vanilla extract.
Let cool to room temperature and then add the heavy cream.
Pour into a covered container and refrigerate until completely chilled.

Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze, according to manufacture’s instructions.

Scoop ice cream out of ice cream maker, into a large covered container and stir in the toffee bits.
Freeze until ready to serve.

Makes 1 quart


6 comments:

  1. Can the toffee bits be added to ice cream in ice cream maker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm sorry I am so late in replying to your question. Yes, I would add them half way when ice cream is finished. Thank you! Lee

      Delete
  2. Does the Toffee actually call for 1 stick of butter plus 6 more Tablespoons of Butter? Why list it as two separate items?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, that was a mistake. I just made it again and I corrected the recipe. Thank you for asking.

      Delete
  3. Is this close to Friendly's Butter Crunch? They closed the plant down and Friendly's Ice Cream has been discontinued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made my day! We couldn't go to High's (just off Central Ave) without getting a pint of butter brickle ice cream. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete