Sunday, January 8, 2017

LOOSE MEAT BEEF-N-BURGERS

I remember a delicious ground beef sandwich that was on the menu at the old People's Drug Stores in Washington, D.C. If my dad was out on a errand, he would ask me if I wanted a 'beef burger' from People's. I used to love this with an orange freeze. I think this is how I remember them tasting . . . at least it's pretty close.


1 T avocado oil or extra-light olive oil
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
2 T dried minced onion
2 T dill pickle juice 
2 T brown sugar
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T soy sauce
1 T sweet paprika
2 t dry mustard powder
1 t garlic powder
Sea salt and finely ground black pepper
2 cups beef broth

In a large cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and add the beef.
Cook, while breaking up with a wooden spoon, for about 10 to 12 minutes, until the beef is cooked through and lightly browned.
Add the onion and cook another 5 minutes.
Lower the heat to medium-low and add the rest of the ingredients.
Stir to combine and let simmer another 8 to 10 minutes.

Spoon onto toasted hamburger buns and serve with a pickle and potato chips.

Makes 6 sandwiches


9 comments:

  1. I have been searching for anything and anyone that remembers these burgers. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember eating them at Peoples counter too!

      Delete
  2. I’m late to the party, but thank you! I used to eat these all the time at the lunch counter at People’s at Wheaten Plaza in Maryland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, just sitting in my kitchen talking about "sloppy joe's" and remembered those good old beef n burgers!! Tried to Google under that name but couldn't find a recipe. I originally ate these at the old Peoples Drug store lunch counter in SE Washington DC!! This just brought back so many good childhood memories for me!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in SE DC too. Loved them with an orange freeze. Thanks! Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those flavors sound about right! I had mine near 7 Corners, and remember them having cole slaw on the bun as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have been searching for this recipe over the years. I loved them as a kid. Our Peoples was on Connecticut Ave near the zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The recipe is as close as I can get it to my memory of the Peoples on Alabama Ave, SE. Hope you like it.
    Thanks for commenting!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete