Saturday, July 29, 2017

IZETTA'S SUNDAY PICNIC POTATO SALAD

I still have fond memories of my mom's Sunday picnic potato salad. She always put it in large Mason jars and packed it in ice in the cooler. We would drive to the country and have a picnic with some of our country relatives. Mom would tie on her pretty apron, put a couple of table cloths on the picnic tables and set up her food. Her potato salad always contained chopped eggs. I buy eggs from local farms where they have a stand setup outside their entrances. You put the money in a tin box and take the eggs; all based on the honor system. Their hens are allowed to roam free and eat a variety of left-over veggies from kitchen scraps. When I was a little girl, my Aunt Stella would give me a basket and let me go into the hen house and collect a few eggs. She showed me how to gently cup the hen's head with one hand and slip out an egg from under her with my other hand. They never saw me take the eggs. Poor little hens; they just sat there as if they still had an egg under them. 



Left to right - my dad, Uncle Julian & Aunt Dorothy, Grand Uncle Edward & my mom, Izetta
My Aunt Hattie probably took the photo. I was off playing somewhere.



2 lbs yellow or red small potatoes
2 t sea salt

½ cup mayonnaise (I use mayo made with olive oil)
¼ cup sour cream or ¼ cup crème fraîche
1 T prepared yellow mustard
1 T dill pickle juice or apple cider vinegar
½ cup diced dill pickle
½ medium sweet or white onion, finely diced
3 stalks celery, finely diced
½ t celery salt
½ t garlic powder
3 T finely minced parsley

2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
Sea salt and fine ground black pepper
Paprika, for sprinkling

Minced parsley, for sprinkling

Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water to 2 inches.
Bring to a boil and add the salt.
Lower heat slightly and cook potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes, or until fork tender.
Drain potatoes through a colander and then transfer to a large bowl of cold water with ice.

In a small bowl, mix together the mayo, sour cream or crème fraîche, mustard, pickle juice or vinegar, dill pickle, onion, celery, celery salt, garlic powder, and parsley. 

Peel skin from eggs, using your hands and place on a cutting board. 
Cut potatoes into 2 or 4 chunks and place in a large bowl.

Spoon in the mayo mixture, add the potatoes and chopped eggs.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir gently to combine.

Spoon into a covered container and sprinkle with paprika and minced parsley.

Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour for flavors to combine.

Serves 6 to 8

* You can substitute the dill pickles for sweet pickles, if you desire.